Our Ear Nose and Throat (ENT or Otolaryngology) Specialists in Southeast Texas Are Ready to Help.
Ranging from mild ailments such as ear infections and strep throat, to complex conditions that may require surgery, ENT problems require specialized and timely diagnosis, treatment, and care.
When some people develop an ear, nose, or throat issue, they may take their symptoms lightly and delay calling their doctor to get treatment. From home remedies to hope that the condition will “just go away” eventually, patients put themselves at risk of more serious symptoms and even infections.
Research indicates that over 30,000 U.S. adults are diagnosed with throat cancer each year. With this number expected to increase, it’s important that patients seek timely professional help with the onset of symptoms.
Common ENT Problems
ENT problems are common among people of all ages. They commonly include:
- Strep Throat: As one of the most common ENT infections, strep throat occurs when the throat and surrounding region becomes infected with streptococcal bacteria. Symptoms include a sore throat, enlarged and swollen tonsils, painful swallowing, fever, body aches, nausea, and rashes. If left unattended, the infection may spread and require surgery.
- Ear Infections: Caused by germ build-up, an ear infection exhibits symptoms ranging from pain and pus-like ear drainage to hearing loss.
- Tonsillitis: One of the more serious ENT conditions, tonsillitis is the inflammation or infection of the tonsils. Common symptoms include recurrent strep throat, swollen tonsils, painful swallowing, and vocal changes. Extending the period between the onset of symptoms and treatment may result in the condition worsening and requiring the surgical removal of the tonsils—a procedure known as tonsillectomy.
- Sinusitis: Also known as sinus infection, sinusitis occurs when the tissue lining the sinuses become infected by a bacteria or virus. This results in inflammation and swelling. Common symptoms include persistent migraines and coughing, a runny nose, loss of smell, fever, fatigue, and painful nasal or facial pressure.
- Hearing Loss: While not as common as the previously mentioned ENT conditions, hearing loss occurs due to damage of the inner ear. This is generally caused due to aging, loud, sustained blasts of noise, trauma to the ear, or an infection. Symptoms generally include hearing muffled sounds and having trouble comprehending conversations. Timely treatment can undo the damage through surgical procedures, cochlear implants, hearing aids, and wax blockage removal.
- Ear, Nose, and Throat Cancer: As the most threatening ENT condition, ENT cancers require immediate professional diagnosis and treatment. You should look out for a lump in the neck, nosebleeds, swelling in the mouth, and painful swallowing.
ENT Diagnosis and Treatment at Houston Physicians’ Hospital
Our team of ENT specialists (otolaryngologists) and physicians utilize modern technology and their years of medical expertise to effectively diagnose and treat ENT problems.
They also specialize in detecting uncommon ENT disorders like sleep apnea, vertigo, and acid reflux. If you’ve noticed the onset of signs and symptoms for ENT conditions, get in touch with us for a professional examination, diagnosis and treatment.
Our ENT team sees patients across Southeast Texas—including South Houston, Clear Lake, Webster, League City, Galveston, and neighboring communities. Visit our website to find an ENT specialist who is right for you.